Monday, March 15, 2010

Preparing for El Salvador

I'm leaving for El Salvador on Wednesday, part of a group of students, faculty and alumni from United Theological Seminary in the Twin Cities - my alma mater in 1990. The biggest reason, for me, is to participate in the 30th anniversary of the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero. He is a hero of liberation theologians and a big influence on me during seminary. Romero was killed by a right-wing government out to silence anyone - including many priests and nuns - who spoke up for the poor who were being oppressed. For a good movie on the subject, watch Romero, starring Raul Julia.

Anyway, my hope is to blog from San Salvador. I'm told there is an internet cafe down the street from the house where we are staying (no air conditioning or hot water for showers... yikes). So, keep checking. I will return on March 26.

Peace and Blessings to you, David

No comments: